Australian Embassy
Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan

Services for Australians


2018 Batman by-election

A by-election for the federal electoral Division of Batman in Victoria will be held on Saturday 17 March 2018.

You can check if you are enrolled in the Division of Batman, enrol or update your enrolment details at The deadline to enrol is 8pm AEDT Wednesday 14 February 2018.

In-person voting will not be available outside of Australia for this by-election. If you will be overseas on by-election day, you can apply for a postal vote or you can vote in person in Australia before you go.

You can apply for a postal vote by completing a ‘Postal Vote Application’ on the AEC website. You should ensure that you apply for a postal vote as soon as possible to allow enough time for the ballot papers to reach you overseas before by-election day.

For more information, visit the AEC website at or contact the AEC via email ( or telephone +61 2 6113 4777 or +61 2 6160 2600.

Services for Australians Overseas

Consular Services:

What we can and cannot do

We provide consular assistance to Australian citizens and permanent residents travelling or living abroad through our offices in Australia and diplomatic missions (embassies, high commissions, consulates) overseas. Our capacity to assist you is influenced by local laws and conditions, international rules governing consular work, and by the cooperation offered by persons and organisations outside the Australian Government. For further information on what we can and cannot do, please visit the following webpage:

Consular Services Charter

Consular Privacy Collection Statement

Providing consular assistance to Australians overseas is a core function of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT). In order to provide effective consular assistance, DFAT is required to collect, use and disclose an individuals’ personal information.
The privacy of consular clients and their families is a fundamental aspect of managing consular cases. This statement outlines how DFAT collects, uses, discloses and stores personal information related to consular cases in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988. This notice is provided pursuant to Australian Privacy Principle 5. To read the statements please go to:

Privacy Statement.


Notarial Services and document legalisation overseas

As part of DFAT's role as the local authority for a number of international conventions or arrangements, we provide the following notarial acts overseas:

  • Administering an oath or receiving a declaration or affirmation
  • Effecting, or attempting to effect, service of a document and issuing a certificate

    or affidavit of service or attempted service of a document

  • Witnessing a signature or seal on a form or declaration
  • Preparing a declaration or other document
  • Verifying and certifying a copy of a document or part of a document
  • Signing a document, or affixing a seal to a document or other article
  • Witnessing the execution of a will
  • Transmitting a document or other article through official channels
  • Transferring funds through official accounts, other than for the purposes of the

    realisation of a deceased estate

  • Preparation and issue of an Apostille certificate
  • Preparation and issue of an Authentication certificate
  • Preparation and issue of a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage

How much does it cost?

Costs, in Australian dollars, will be displayed in the reception area of the mission. Payment is usually made in local currency only converted at the official bank rate.

Notarial services fees will increase from 1 January 2017, following a recommendation from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade’s Functional and Efficiency Review.

The New fee schedule takes into account the annual rate of inflation in Australia since fees were last increased, the growing cost of delivering notarial services and rising demand. The new fee schedule aligns with notarial service fees charged by commercial providers.

From 2018 onwards, notarial service fee will increase annually in line with the Consumer Price Index (CPI) published by the Australian Bureau of Statistics.

Notarial services fees from 1 January 2018 ($AUD).


Consular & Passports Section will provide notarial services to clients by appointment only, Sunday through Thursday between the hours of 9:00am to 1.00pm.

Appointments can be arranged by:

  • Telephone on +962 6 5807000 during normal business hours (8.30 am to 4.00 pm Sundays to Thursdays; or by
  • E-mail to


On-line registration for Australians overseas

We encourage use of this online registration service by Australians planning to reside overseas for extended periods, and those travelling to locations where there are security risks.

Travel information for Australians

Get the latest travel advisories and other traveller hints from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

Get the latest travel advice for Jordan.


Passport Services:

Passport fees will increase from 1 January 2017 to include an annual CPI indexation.

From 1 January 2017 passport applications lodged overseas will incur an additional fee (overseas surcharge). The additional fee will be AUD$103 for all adult applications, and AUD$52 for all child applications. The fee will not apply to emergency passport applications. 

Please click here to see all new passport prices.

All passport fees are payable in cash in Jordanian Dinars which is subjected to variations in the exchange rate. Credit cards and personal cheques will not be accepted, and no other currency is acceptable.

In order to provide better service to all clients, the Passport Office has implemented an appointments system. Australian Citizens who wish to lodge an application for a new or replacement passport should make an appointment by:

For further information and forms about passports for Australian Citizens please visit the passports website at


Living in Country

          An International Driver's Permit is not a licence - you must also have a current Australian licence.

          To obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP), please contact the relevant IDP authority in your state.

          New South Wales



          South Australia

          Western Australia


          Northern Territory

Former residents

A gateway to information about Australian benefits, payments and services 

Returning to Australia

Handy information for Australians or residents returning from a holiday or moving back to Australia.

Taking cats and dogs to Australia